ECVM recently commissioned an exclusive study on the total cost of ownership (TCO) of prime PVC products (windows, pipes and flooring) compared to those produced with other materials) which shows PVC has very specific benefits in terms of efficiency and economy.
These are significant points to note for public policy makers who are confronted with important choices to make in the fields of infrastructure investment and the renovation of buildings, social housing etc., - choices that are even more difficult in times of economic crises.
TCO takes into account all costs associated with a product over its entire life cycle. It is a “customer centric” analysis which reveals the difference between the purchase price of a product and its true lifetime cost.
While PVC’s benefits in the areas of durability, longevity and flexibility of use are renowned in the construction industry, its cost advantages are not always understood. This comparative cost analysis shows that PVC provides decisive cost advantages, not just in its low initial purchase price but also in its low cost of ownership throughout the whole product lifespan.
The study considers windows, pipes and floors and its main conclusions are:
1. PVC windows are much less expensive to buy than wood or aluminium, and cost much less to maintain than wood.
2. PVC windows provide big net savings and pay back their investment much faster than wood or aluminium.
3. The higher the energy consumption, the more PVC saves.
1. Both the purchase cost and total cost of ownership of PVC is significantly lower than iron and cement.
2. The major cost of pipe networks is laying the systems, and PVC can also save money here.
3. The lower failure rate of PVCsuperior durability of PVC over long time periods leads to lower pipe replacement costs.
1. The cleaning and maintenance of floor coverings is by far the largest cost element.
2. Standard PVC floors have the lowest purchase cost but not necessarily the lowest cost of ownership.
3. Newly-developed premium PVC flooring is the most economical solution due to its low maintenance requirements.